Have you been stuck at home for months? Have you used that time to create the ultimate cosplay? Then we have some good news!
ReedPop is launching the Cosplay Central Virtual Competition, an online event bringing together top cosplayers to compete for a variety of prizes. Not only that, but we're opening it up to cosplayers of all skill levels, ensuring there's a category for everyone.
Submission begins Thursday, July 16 and goes until July 29 (or until spaces are filled), with the event happening in mid-August. Take a look at the rules below, then be sure to enter the competition!!
TABLE OF CONTENTS:
How The Competition Works
- There will be 3 levels to select from:
- Expert - This category is intended for cosplayers who have previously competed at a high level or those who work in cosplay professionally/semi professionally (e.g. providing commission services)
- Applications will be open to be received from 16 July 2020 until 29 July 2020 or until all places become filled (whichever event comes first)
- The following information will need to be provided at registration via our online form:
- Contact information, public profile information and information about the cosplay
- 1 to 2 x reference images of character (ideally front and back)
- 2 to 4 x photographs of the completed costume and props (should have minimal editing to be truthful. Should show front, back and extra details)
- Short script to tell the audience detail about how it was made and hidden features
- Following confirmation of place the following information will need to be submitted by 17:00 EST/22:00 BST, Friday 31 July 2020 (instructions of how to submit this information will be given in the acceptance email):
- Progress book/Work in progress pictures as PDF (max 5 pages, could include additional detail references if needed)
- Video presentation (max 5 mins) taking judges through elements of the cosplay, construction and details difficult to see in photography.
- A good quality photograph of you wearing the costume
- Video of the costume being worn (30s - 1 min.) for use in the competition showcase. This should be high quality, in landscape orientation and recorded in a well-lit space with clear background or minimal background distractions
For broadcast showcase:
- A panel of judges will assess all the submissions
- We will create a virtual showcase from the supplied materials which will be shown as part of a ReedPop digital event in August 2020
- In the event of high submission numbers, we may not be able to include every entry fully but will make every effort to include as many as we can
- The winners will be announced at the end of the broadcast
Any Questions? Please contact email@example.com
Vouchers for cosplay supplies will be provided to the winners (from either a US or UK based company, based on the winning entrant’s location)
- Expert – Best in show $250/£200 / 2 x Runner ups $75/£60
- Intermediate – Winner $100/£80 / 1 x Runner up $50/£40
- Beginner – Winner $50/£40 / 1 x Runner up $25/£20
How do I join the competition?
To apply for entry into the competition, please fill out the form below by Wednesday, July 29, 2020 at 4:59 PM EDT/9:59 PM BST. You will be notified via email if you have been selected to compete.
What are the rules?
All participants in the Cosplay Central Virtual Competition must adhere to the official rules found here.
How much of the cosplay has to be made by me?
At least 70% of your cosplay should be your own work. Of course, small items and heavy alterations to pre-made garments and items are allowed, but you must be able to explain in detail the processes of how you crafted and altered each aspect of your cosplay.
How do I know if I’m beginner, intermediate, or advanced?
This competition will judge participants in three categories: Beginner, Intermediate, and Expert. Please register for the category you think best suites your craftmanship skill level. However, Cosplay Central Virtual Competition reserves the right to adjust the categories at any time and at in its sole discretion based on entries received.
- Beginner- Participants in this category are new to cosplay craftsmanship in a competition setting.
- Intermediate- This is for contestants who have some experience with cosplay and cosplay competitions but have never competed and won a high-level competition.
- Expert - This category is intended for cosplayers who have previously competed at a high level or those who work in cosplay professionally or semiprofessionally.
I am not from the US or UK. Can I still join?
Yes you can, but voucher prizes will be provided from a UK or US supply store.
I want to cosplay an original character, is this allowed?
Your cosplay must represent an existing and recognizable character or element from within pop culture. This includes comic books, movies & television, video games, anime & manga, fantasy, etc. and a reference image will be requested during registration.
When and where will the competition be livestreamed?
The Cosplay Central Virtual Competition will be shown as part of a ReedPop digital event in August 2020. This will include the cosplay showcase, judges’ comments, and winner results.
Do I need video shots of my cosplay or can it just be photos?
For registration, you will need to supply back and front photos of your costume. If you have been selected to compete, we will then ask for video of your costume for pre-judging and the showcase. Details and deadlines to complete this will be communicated to you via email.
Can a group cosplay enter? (2+ more people)
Sorry, folks. Group costumes are not allowed for this competition.
Will there be prejudging?
Yes, if selected for the competition we will ask you to send a video presentation about your cosplay for the judges.
Can children enter?
Kids are welcome to watch the family-friendly showcase broadcast, but they will not be allowed to enter into this virtual competition. All contestants must be at least 16 years old.
Who are the judges?
We will announce our panel of judges soon. Stay tuned for that announcement!
What are the prizes?
Vouchers for cosplay supplies will be provided to the winners in each category.
- Beginner- winner $50/£40 / 1 runner up $25/£20
- Intermediate- Winner $100/£80 / 1 runner up $50/£40
- Expert- Best in show $250/£200 / 2 x Runner ups $75/£60
Participants in the Cosplay Central Virtual Competition must adhere to the following:
- All entrants must be 16 or older to compete in the Cosplay Central Virtual Competition.
- Costumes must represent an existing or recognisable character or element from the pop culture realm, including comic books, movies & television, video games, anime & manga or fantasy.
- All costumes must be made by the wearer. A portion of the costume (such as leotard, tights and shoes) may be from purchased, finished goods, but the majority of the costume should have been constructed by the entrant: at least 70% should be their own work. If contestants have made heavy alterations to a store-bought garment and wish to enter it into the Competition, they must be able to explain how they have altered it and the processes that such an endeavour entailed.
- Pre-fabricated, store-bought costumes, commissioned costumes or unaltered, store-bought assemblies of clothing to represent a character or “costume” cannot be used in the Cosplay Central Virtual Competition.
- The costume cannot have been a winning costume and been awarded a prize at any event, competition or masquerade. Costumes that have entered competitions but not been finalists may enter. Costumes that have been used for the final of an international cosplay competition are not eligible
- Entrants must not register multiple times with multiple costumes. A contestant can only enter once and only wear one costume.
- Group costumes are not allowed.
- Cosplayers are free to select the category which they submit to (Beginner/ Intermediate/ Expert) but the ReedPop team reserve the right to reclassify entries at their discretion, to ensure a balanced contest.
- Failure to provide the requested materials by the deadline of 17:00 EST/22:00 BST, Friday 31 July 2020, will result in the entrant’s disqualification.
- Costumes cannot promote alcohol, illegal drugs, tobacco, firearms/weapons (or the use of any of the foregoing), any activities that may appear unsafe or dangerous or any particular political agenda or message.
- No nudity. All costumes should provide enough coverage to be worn in public and should be in good taste and appropriate for a family-friendly show.
- Gore, graphic violence or other objectionable elements may be grounds for disqualification
- Costumes cannot be obscene or offensive or endorse any form of hate or hate group.
- Costumes must not defame, misrepresent or contain disparaging remarks about ReedPop and their products, or other people, products or companies.
- Costumes cannot communicate messages or images inconsistent with the positive images and/or goodwill with which ReedPop intends to associate the Competition; and costumes cannot be in violation of any English, US Federal or State or other applicable law.
- Release: By accepting a prize, each winner agrees to release and hold harmless ReedPop and its direct and indirect subsidiaries, suppliers, distributors, advertising/promotion agencies, and prize suppliers (if any), and each of their respective parent companies and each such company’s officers, directors, employees and agents, from and against any claim or cause of action, including, but not limited to, personal injury, death, or damage to or loss of property, arising out of participation in the contest or receipt or use or misuse of any prize.
- ReedPop reserves the right to cancel, suspend and/or modify the Competition, or any part of it, if any fraud or technical failures or any other factor beyond reasonable control impairs the integrity or proper functioning of the Competition, as determined by ReedPop in its sole discretion. ReedPop reserves the right, in its sole discretion, to disqualify any individual it finds to be tampering with the entry process or the operation of the contest or to be acting in violation of the Rules or in an unsportsmanlike or disruptive manner. Any attempt by any person to deliberately undermine the legitimate operation of the Competition may be a violation of criminal and civil law, and, should such an attempt be made, ReedPop reserves the right to seek damages from any such person to the fullest extent permitted by law. ReedPop’s failure to enforce any term of these Rules shall not constitute a waiver of that provision.
- Limitation of Liability: ReedPop is not responsible for: (1) any incorrect or inaccurate information, whether caused by entrants, typographical errors, printing errors or by any of the equipment or programming associated with or utilised in the Contest; (2) technical failures of any kind, including but not limited to malfunctions, interruptions, or disconnections in phone lines or network hardware or software; (3) unauthorised human intervention in any part of the entry process; (4) technical or human error which may occur in the administration of the contest or the processing of entries; or (5) any injury or damage to persons or property which may be caused, directly or indirectly, in whole or in part, from an entrant’s participation in the contest or receipt or use or misuse of any prize (provided always that ReedPop or its employees or contractors are not negligent in any way in relation to such injury or damage). If, for any reason, an entrant’s entry is confirmed to have been erroneously deleted, lost or otherwise destroyed or corrupted, that entrant’s sole remedy is another entry in the contest, if feasible. If the contest, or any part of it, is discontinued for any reason, ReedPop, in its sole discretion, may elect to hold a random draw from among all eligible entries received up to the date of discontinuance for the prize(s) offered herein.
- Employees, staff, crew or guests of ReedPop, Reed Exhibitions Limited or any group or associated company of Reed Exhibitions Limited and/or any of their immediate families, and persons connected with the Competition, e.g. prize sponsors or judges and their agents are not eligible to enter the Competition
- In the event of any dispute arising, these Rules are to be interpreted in accordance with the laws of England and Wales.